Mind Over Medicine
Mind Over Medicine: Scientific Proof That You Can Heal Yourself, by Lissa Rankin, M.D., is a powerful perspective for anyone to consider.
The author is a credible and successful physician who is radically overcoming conventional medicine’s approach of doctor authority over patients. The message is that we do not need to hand our healing power over to have someone else “fix” us, that we each have more healing power than we have ever imagined, ourselves.
Time out. In no way is she suggesting to abandon current medical care. The perspectives in this book are not either/or: there is room in this realm for all forms of healing, and it is the individual’s responsibility to make wise–and intuitive–decisions.
Each of us has the power to heal our body just by changing how our mind thinks and feels. Yes, heal on a very large scale.
Now, this is far greater than simply putting on a happy face and thinking rainbows and hearts. This is a spiritual path. This is a challenge of connecting lifestyle dots, reexamining personal beliefs, and taking responsibility. This is asking yourself, “What does my body need in order to heal?” And then it is honestly looking at the answer you may receive, even if it is along the lines of:
- I need to leave my spouse.
- I need to quit my job.
- I need to finally go back to school.
- I need to leave this church.
- I need to have a child.
- I need to forgive ______.
- I need to say no to ______.
- I need to put my aging parent in a home.
The book is organized into three parts: Believe Yourself Well/Treat Your Mind/Write the Prescription. Part One talks about long-standing scientific evidence that supports this radical idea of self-healing, including the effects of both the stress and relaxation responses physiologically on the body. Part Two identifies strategies to identify personal stress-response indicators, as well as teach how to create counteractive measures. Part Three shows you how to diagnose yourself as well as write your own prescription for health, with specific tools, steps, and guidelines.
WARNING: This is not for the faint of heart.
Again, this is a spiritual journey. You have the capacity, and the courage. This book is your direct support, and anyone at any point on their path will benefit in some form by reading it.
I was graciously given this book by Hay House in exchange for my honest thoughts about it.
- August Featured Book: Mind Over Medicine: Scientific Proof That You Can Heal Yourself by Lissa Rankin, M.D. (vilmareynoso.com)
- Dr. Lissa Rankin: Mind Over Medicine: Scientific Proof You Can Heal Yourself (lugenfamilyoffice.com)
- The Nocebo Effect: Negative Thoughts Can Harm Your Health (psychologytoday.com)
- Popular Alternative Medical Therapies (healing.answers.com)
- A Healing Walk in the Woods (therebelrn.wordpress.com)
- Vaccinate with a Shot of Community (jamieweilhealthcoach.com)
- An Alternative Medicine Glossary (everydayhealth.com)
- Coralie Matthews liked RaK’s discussion Mind Medicine: The Remedy Most Forgotten (community.humanityhealing.net)