Turn emotional lead into gold, like this:
The other day I caught myself reacting in my head in, well, not what I would in any form call a mindful, observing way. A thoughtless comment was made, I took it personally, and although neutral on the outside I was incredibly animated on the inside.
Can you relate?
I know, I know — thoughtless comment, or misperception? Well-intentioned speaker, overly exhausted receiver? Chalk it up to poor timing, but there I am doing one-sided damage control in my mind.
And it’s times like these where “Serenity now” just falls flat.
I am learning that it hugely helps to name my feelings, and honor them… But then what?
Try this for yourself, I find it’s helping me:
- Identify and name how you feel. (At this point this is for you, not the rest of the world. Just saying.)
- Recognize the energy behind the emotion. Transmute it. (This means put it to better use.)
- Be a vessel of love. (For others. And for yourself.)
So let’s see this in action.
- I actually own that I am hurt.
- The energy in this instance is that I feel under-appreciated. Now, knowing that, I am able to give myself appreciation. I can think of immediate things to appreciate myself for — starting with my ability to not fly off the handle to the other person in this situation. I can also consider what action I can shortly take that would show appreciation to myself. A brisk walk? A piece of cheesecake? A song that I like?
- Be. A. Vessel. Of. Love. I have just released the other person from the responsibility of providing my feelings of appreciation. And, I consciously send them love. Which, actually, also fills me with love, too.
Transmute: Change in form, nature, or substance, especially to a higher form.
Resist a feeling or a thought, and that fuels it.
Observe an emotion or thought, and it is transmuted. It becomes naturally elevated, without any need to force a change.
And so have you.
You GOT this. If you want it. Give it a try.
The next time you are in a situation where you start to react, remember these three steps. Or at the very least, remember that there ARE steps to try. You are already beginning to transmute it.